Posted on 5th Jun 2013 in Blog
The rise in the increased use of mobility for field service has been in parallel and based on the heightened use of cloud services.With mobile being one of the five top areas for cloud expansion, many of the businesses are employing cloud platforms.
Whether it’s sharing of information via file syncing, storing data or employing social media, many companies are executing cloud strategies. The increased reliance on public cloud resources for many functions is due to the advantage that cloud based solutions are more secure. The key factors that make cloud deployment compelling are:
- Its more than just hardware and manpower costs: Buying cloud capacity is cheaper than renting a part of a server is cheaper than buying your own hardware.
- Rapid elasticity: Ease of scaling an application up (or) down in the cloud an added advantage to the organization.
- Resource pooling: It used in cloud computing environments to describe a situation in which providers serve multiple clients, customers with provisional and scalable services. These services can be adjusted to suit each client’s needs without any changes being apparent to the client or end user.
- Optimization of CapEx & OpEx: In CapEx, reduction cuts across the entire data center infrastructure including servers, storage arrays, software licenses (when needed), routers and load-balancers.Coming to the OpEx, costs shared by cloud deployment, include system admins, facilities management, fire protection and hardware engineers. Most importantly cloud eliminates hidden OpEx costs such as purchasing & acquisition overhead, asset insurance and business interruption, planning and software. According to the report released by Networkworld, 2011, Microsoft says that 80% savings by using the cloud.
- Cloud Computing makes innovation easy: This is achieved by making it so much cheaper than and easier to try many more new products and applications. With this, more new ideas can be tried and the penalties for failure encountered are small, which helps in lowering obstacles to innovation.
In addition to the above, the major benefit to the field service organisations through cloud-based mobility is the ability to dispatch the work to the handheld devices, receive real-time updates and increase operational efficiency by reducing time and enabling optimization of resources. And these benefits represents the true advantage of increased mobility and cloud adoption.